Eating healthy, clean, whole foods-based meals is super important to me. I really enjoy cooking from scratch. However, there are just days that cooking from scratch just isn’t going to happen. A lot of time I plan ahead for this and have heat-and-eat meals already in the freezer. Things like homemade Beef (or Venison) veggie soup, venison or turkey chili, hamburger patties, etc are standard. I do like to keep some store-bought dinners also in the freezer, namely lasagna, and pizza.
It’s all about convenience
We go through a LOT of pizza in this house because it’s just so quick and delicious. I think my husband could eat pizza every night and not get sick of it. We also live in a very rural area, so there is no delivery from anything. Pizza is 20 mins to go pick up in town and when we get home, we normally have to put it back into the oven to warm it up. It makes it not worth it.
Best Flour for Pizza Dough
I got a gift card for Christmas to King Authur Flour, so I purchased some of the Double 00 flour for pizza making. I love batch cooking because if you’re going to go through the effort of cooking one meal, why not double or triple the recipe and make more for the freezer for almost the same effort and time.
So I set out to make my own homemade frozen pizzas! Below is the recipe I used for this round and I really love how they turned out!
- 1 1/3 cup warm water (between 100-110°F, 38-43°C)
- 2 1/4 tsp rapid/instant yeast (1 standard packet)
- 1 tbsp granulated sugar (13g)
- 2 tbsp olive oil (30ml)
- 3 1/4 cup double 00 or all-purpose flour (spoon & leveled), plus more for hands and surface (438g)
- Mix warm water, yeast, and sugar and let it sit for 5 mins to bloom. In a stand mixer with a dough hook add yeast mixture, oil, salt, and flour and mix for 3-4 minutes on med speed until the dough pulls away from the bowl.Turn dough out onto a floured surface and knead by hand for 1-2 mins. Coat a large bowl with olive oil and place dough inside. Flip the dough to cover all sides with oil. Let rise for 60-90 mins until it doubles in size.Once doubled, punch dough down and turn it out onto a floured surface. Cut dough ball in half if you want regular crust or cut each half in half so you have four dough balls for thin crust. With a floured rolling pin roll out the dough into a circle.
Homemade Pizza Sauce
You can totally use store bought sauce for this. But I normally have all the ingredient for homemade sauce on hand. Plus its so simple and easy to make! If you’ve never had homemade sauce, give it a try sometime.
Homemade Pizza Sauce
- 1 can 12oz tomato sauce
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp oregano
- 1 tsp sugar
- Mix all ingredients together. No need to heat.
Homemade Frozen Pizzas
Homemade Sausage Mushroom Frozen Pizza
- 1 Pizza Dough Recipe (Above)
- 1 Pizza Sauce Recipe (Above)
- 3 springs fresh oregano
- 1-1.5 lb sweet italian sausage (cooked)
- 2 pints mushrooms (sliced)
- 6 cup mozzarella cheese (shredded)
- Pre-heat oven to 475 F. We’re going to pre-bake the crust just a little. Once heated place stretched dough on a pizza pan. Poke with a fork to prevent bubbles and place into the oven for 4-5 mins until just barely toasted. Remove and cool on a cooling rack while the next one bakes. Bake all four (2) crusts.
- Add about a 1/3 cup of the sauce to each pizza. Then top with the remaining ingredients. Make sure cheese is on top. Next, freeze the pizzas before you wrap them up for three hours. I put them on a sheet pan or pizza pan and just place them in my freezer. Once they’ve frozen wrap each pizza in plastic wrap and then in foil to prevent freezer burn.
- When ready to eat. You can reheat from frozen. Preheat oven to 425 F. Unwrap pizza and place in preheated oven for 12-18 minutes depending on how brown you like your pizza. Slice and serve!